Gurucharan College, established on 15th July 1935, is recognised as one of the premier institutions in the field of Collegiate education. It has carved out a distinct identity of its own in the field of higher education in the eastern part of India. The well-acclaimed reputation of the college stands not on its vast area of land, buildings constructed on it or on its enrolment strength but on its enriched academic and intellactual legacy built up during the time-span of 88 years of its life at the cost of effort & sacrifices of a batch of dedicated personalities who left no stone unturned to erect this huge edifice of higher education in this Barak Valley. Today, this institution of potential excellence is proud to have a large number of alumni who have established themselves in different professions & vocations of life in India and abroad.
Initially, the college was housed in a Bunglow of one Late Promode Chandra Datta at Rongpur on the bank of the river Barak. When the river bank erosion began to swallow the college premises, it was shifted temporarily to the campus of Silchar Normal School. At that time, classes were held in the Morning shift. However, this temporary phase of crisis of accomodation was soon over. Gurucharan College began to receive generous help and assistance from different quarters and ultimately it was able to acquire permanent space in its present state of location.